Monday, October 4, 2010

Desert Eyes Progress


Background to the Mexican Wolf painting for next book
Starting a painting is so intimidating, especially when it involves landscape. In order to achieve the quality of illustration I want, adding soft landscape is a must. I've learned over the years that the dotted animals pop out even more when siting on a more impressionistic background.
Just like any skill, I have to reacquaint myself with my paints and how I look at things. I laugh at myself because I started the sky backwards with the dark point at the horizon getting lighter as you go higher in the sky. Can I say, rookie? I fixed it, of course.

It's great to be back in the painting saddle again. I'm very excited about the next 16 paintings. Now the challenge will be balancing my time. Once I get started on something I get obsessive until its completion. I will remind myself that I created my last book while working full-time and having two babies.

No comments: