Thursday, March 7, 2013

Kindergarten Art Auction Piece

This is a collage piece.
Each student has a flower in this
bouquet. One student is the vase. 
Since my kindergarten class has 22 students I'm going to have four bouquets of flowers to assure each student has a flower in the auction. I chose four student's vases that best fit the flower colors.

I created four different flowers for the kids to watercolor paint. I wanted consistency with the design and have the kids really focus on the painting part and not the drawing part. The first week of painting I had them add some crayon resistance to outline or add design to the flowers. The second week of painting I had them just use watercolor and no crayon. I think they were more successful when they had the crayons.


I gave them outlines for three different vases. This time I brought in acrylic (not tempura) paint for them. They used cotton swabs to mix the paint and apply it. I like using cotton swabs to paint with kindergartners better than paint brushes, they fit their small hands better and don't rely as much on fine motor skills.


I will be assembling the four collages for the art auction and watch the 7-8 families enjoy a healthy battle to win the piece. I'll post all of the final art pieces for the auction after I've mounted them.



No comments: