Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Upcoming June events!

This Friday is a reading event for the Folsom Vacation Zone camps. There will be around 80 kids. I am planning to do more with groups, showing how large some of the creatures in my books. I'll ask the counselors to take pictures and then upload them.

I am going to show the size of:
1) Mekong Giant Catfish
2) The heart of the Humpback Whale
3) California Condor wingspan
4) Comoro Black Flying Fox
I'll have to think of a few other interesting ones, to shock the kids with. I love the oooo's and ahhhh's I get as a result of these demonstrations.

If I can figure out how to do an activity showing what happens when the top of the food chain disappears, that would be really cool. I'll have to really think about it. Maybe I could assign kids to be the deer healthy, sick, old, young. Then show some kids as the food. Choose other kids to be other animals that use the plants. And add a timeline. I can add signs to stick on the deer to show they are sick. I can become the story teller. I'd have to have a pretty big group to pull it off. It sounds like it would be fun though!

On Saturday and Sunday are the Discovery Museum events.

No comments: