Sunday, January 24, 2010

I Love Nature - and those that love nature!

I had a wonderful time in Coloma yesterday, at the American River Nature Center. What a lovely place. A couple of deer crossed my path and I spotted a pretty little woodpecker. I really don't spend enough time exploring the beautiful areas around me. I really need to get my children in nature more often. I came across a book in the Nature Center's book store that I really want to read, Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder, by Richard Louv. Perhaps, I'll read that and post my thoughts on my blog.

The children and parents at the event were so excited and pleasant! Could I use enough adjectives to explain what a nice time I had? :) We painted in dots and I read my book. I also met a Wildlife Biologist that is studying the
Pika and Pacific Fisher. I was humbled by her. She is so lucky to have so many amazing experiences with live animals. She and her team do so much to help save species by understanding them better.

I also had the opportunity last night to see Avatar. It was the best movie I have ever seen. I cried so often that people probably wondered if I had been an alien in a previous life.

---------------------------------------------------
On a completely different note. There is a children's writing contest I would like to mention. It runs until January 31st. If you have a YA or MG you can enter 500 words at http://kidlit.com/kidlit-contest

2 comments:

Angelica R. Jackson said...

Coloma is a great place for repeat visits; you can join the Gold Discovery Park Association and it gets you free admission to the state park for the year. There are also great family hiking spots nearby at Dave Moore Nature Area, Cronan Ranch, and the Olmstead Loop in Cool. Glad you had a good turnout for your event, the weather was perfect for an inside activity.

RAD - Dot Painter said...

I can't wait to take my kids for a hike! It is so beautiful! Thank you so much for hooking me up with them.