Sunday, April 25, 2010

Earth Day at Twin Lakes Elementary

I had the privilege of working with Twin Lakes Elementary fourth graders on Earth Day. I spoke to the classes about the importance of learning about endangered species and the sadness of losing them. Then we painted.

Twin Lakes Elementary is so lucky, because they have an art teacher on staff that works with the kids. So many of the schools around us don't have any art program. I wonder how that will affect children in the years to come. I remember when I was in elementary school we had a huge art room filled with supplies and even a kiln. I am sure part of why I love art is because I was exposed to it in school.


There are some traveling programs at a few schools that offer art to classrooms once per month. Doesn't feel like enough though. I am glad to get into classrooms to offer a different way of looking at painting.

I have been working for the past two weeks on the sketches for my next endangered species book, "Through Desert Eyes." They are more intricate and the compositions more complex than my painting ideas in the past.
I am excited to finish up the sketches and send them off for review!

No comments: