Saturday, March 19, 2011

Exciting Convention in Seattle


There are a lot of very lucky students out there that have wonderful art teachers. I've had the pleasure of meeting so many of those teachers these past couple of days.

I'm having a wonderful time in Seattle. It has been such a treat meeting my publisher and marketing director from Finney Co. Imagine working on a project so important in your life, with people you have never met face to face, and then getting to spend hours with them. It has inspired me to work harder and finish my illustrations so we can get the next book out for children, parents and teachers. I've been touched by the positive feedback my book has received and know I'm on the right track.

I am also going to start learning more about artist-in-residents programs and find a way to apply to elementary schools to be included in a rotation. There was a man in one of the sessions that shared how he travels to schools to collaborate with teachers on art projects. How cool would that be?

Perhaps there is still hope that I won't have to return to an office in the near future:) I can find a way to make a living that will allow me to continue sharing my passion for art and animals with children. At the moment, I'm going to enjoy all of these opportunities and the thrill of meeting so many amazing people.

3 comments:

Christina Mercer said...

How awesome for you, Rachel!! I can't wait to hear all about the trip :-D

ron hirschi said...

It was great to meet you at the NAEA in Seattle......even though we talked briefly, I can tell from your work and what we talked about that you are in this for all the right reasons........I've gotten to work with kids in many schools and other settings and if I can help you out in any way, let me know. In the meantime, keep working with and for the kids, our future hopes for the planet.

Cheers, Ron Hirschi, Marrowstone Island, Washington
http://soaronhirschi.blogspot.com

Al Krysan said...

Rachel - You provided great energy and some entertainment to our trade show booth...THANK YOU! We are proud of our association with you and look forward to many years working together. Happy Spring! Al Krysan, President, Windward Publishing