Monday, February 22, 2010

As it Should Be

I am listening to Eckhart Tolle's, A New Earth right now. I admit that reading books like that put me to sleep, but listening, ahhh now that's the way I learn. Anyway, Tolle is fascinating. Many times he mentions how recognizing the now, not dwelling on the past or anticipating the future is the most peaceful way to walk through life. Wonderful philosophy, but tough to live by. Every time I feel like things should be happening more quickly with my book, or my artwork, I now force myself to think about how things are flowing as they should and I should enjoy the ride.

My book offers me random beautiful moments. Last week, a high school student emailed me from Rhode Island. I have never met her, nor have I met anyone in her family or circle. Yet, she wanted to let me know that she liked my book and was using it for her senior project - if that was okay by me. She is a reminder of why I wrote my book in the first place, I want it to mean something to people. I light up with passion when I talk about helping endangered species and my book does that too. The louder the voice the more people will listen.

My next book, which I hope my publisher likes, is only about Desert endangered species. It has been so fascinating to study a single ecosystem. It seems logical that desert species have a lot in common, but it still surprised me when reptiles, mammals and birds that are so different have so much alike. They have all evolved and adapted to survive such arid and harsh extremes, they are truly amazing. Splitting my books into ecosystems will help to demonstrate the importance of leaving a specific environment intact, and how making slight alterations to a chain, disrupts the balance of everything.

Okay, that was my pitch, but it sums it up.

I started a red eyed tree frog painting. I LOVE IT! I have missed painting more than I realized. I love to paint as much as I love to write. Pretty cool that I get the opportunity during this stage in my life to do what I love. Persistence pays off, if it is meant to, that is.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Yes, art is so enriching. I love to paint as well as write, too, and whenever I get back to painting I just feel wonderful.

RAD - Dot Painter said...

aka Mitty:) You know what is interesting, how I never put together the power of the words to inspire the image. That is exactly how I am going about my next book. I am letting the words of the poems guide my sketches. I am a late bloomer using my brain as I create!