Saturday, February 27, 2010

Third Graders!

I read to about 130 third graders last week at Sandra de Gallardo Elementary in Folsom, CA (truly the greatest perk of being published). They were absolutely precious! I have to say, third grade is my favorite to share my book with. They have great questions, and really comprehend the poetry.

I thought it was hilarious that when I asked for 10 volunteers to stand next to each other, shoulder to shoulder, to demonstrate the length of a Mekong giant catfish, and they wouldn't touch each other. It was especially obvious between the boys and the girls. Now, kindergarten and first graders practically jump to be shoved up against their fellow classmates, too funny how just a couple of grades later their hormones are already kicking in. Ewww boys, ewww girls.

Some of the questions I received were wonderful: What came first, the art or the poems?; Which animal is most endangered in your book?; Which is the least endangered in your book? How long did it take to write the book?

My favorite question (stumper, surprise) of all... If you see yourself as any animal in your book, what would it be? Hmmmm. At first I said the tiger, and then I really thought about it. I concluded I was most like the snow leopard.

1 comment:

忍著 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.