Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Circus Ringmaster - a 10 minute exercise

My writing exercise today is to write something using the following information: a ringmaster from the circus is knocking on my front door, I am a small town cop looking through my peephole. I must start the exercise with the cop saying "If you know what's good for you..."

"If you know what's good for you," I said immediately throwing my door open, "You'll go back to your circus, pack it up and head out of town."

"My dear lady, let me introduce myself," he said with a grand bow. "My name is Arnold Puffenfleffer. I am the ringmaster of the Puffenfleffer Jabberwalky Circus. I have free tickets for you and your family to attend my show this weekend."

There was nothing I hated more than a circus -- a place with creepy clowns and abused animals. It reminded me of when I worked at a New York City precinct.

"Mr. Puffenfleffer, this town doesn't want your circus. I'm sure me and my boys can find plenty of laws you're company is breaking, and we might just be bored enough to look. So, my advice to you is to move it along."

Mr. Puffenfleffer's eyes became wide. He shuffled backwards and... 

1 comment:

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Great story opener, Rachel. I really want to know what happens next. Ah, your next book.